I was going to moan about yet another nail polish-less Ipsy Glam Bag (referral link), but it turns out that there weren’t even any nail polishes distributed by Ipsy this month!
A few of things I did notice that Ipsy have recently changed:
- They updated the Profile Quiz, so retake it if you’re a subscriber! They’ve added some more detail.
- You can’t seem to review individual items in your Glam Bag, anymore—just the bag as a whole. I hope this isn’t really the case, as I’m not sure how they will be able to tailor your the Glam Bags as well. (How else will I complain about getting endless black eyeliners and haircare products?!) They giveth with the Profile Quiz, and taketh away with the product ratings…
- You have four months to finish reviewing items from previous Glam Bags.
This month’s bag is pretty decent, nevertheless! I did get an email from Ipsy last month asking me to choose one of the items I would receive, which was cool. The options given were:
- Ciaté Liquid Velvet Matte Lipstick in Pin Up
- City Color Be Matte Blush Trio
- Hanalei Lip Treatment
- NYX Prismatic Shadow in Bedroom Eyes
- NYX Prismatic Shadow in Jaded
- OUAI Wave Spray
- tarte Deluxe Maracuja Oil
I almost picked the tarte Maracuja Oil, as I’ve been wanting to try it for a while, now, but in the end I’m a sucker for nail and lip stuff, so I went with the Ciaté lipstick.
Turns out I received the Ciaté lipstick, plus the tarte Maracuja Oil, plus the Hanalei Lip Treatment. Score!
What I Received
- Ciaté Liquid Velvet Matte Lip Slick in Pin Up (2 mL mini; 6.5 mL full size US$19)
- Hanalei Lip Treatment (5 mL mini; 15 mL full size US$20)
- OFRA Eyeshadow/Highlighter in Bliss (4 g full size pan; pan in compact US$15)
- Royal & Langnickel MODA Angle Shader Brush (full size, comes in a six-brush set USD$19.99)
- tarte Maracuja Oil (7 mL deluxe sample; 15 mL travel size US$15/CA$19, 50 mL full size US$48/CA$60)
- Ipsy makeup bag
Ipsy Coupon Codes
- Ciaté: 30% off any purchase with code IPSTER (through 01/31/2017, US only)
- Hanalei: 30% off any purchase with code LIPTREATMENT30 (through 01/31/2017, US only)
- OFRA: 30% off any purchase with code IPSY30 (through 01/31/2017)
- Royal & Langnickel: 20% off any purchase with code ipsy20 (through 01/31/2017, US only)
- tarte: 20% off any purchase with code IPSYDEC (through 01/10/2017)
Here are some more detailed product shots:
Ciaté Liquid Velvet Matte Lip Slick in Pin Up
2 mL mini; 6.5 mL full size US$19
I’ve never tried Ciaté’s makeup before—just their nail polishes. I still think of them as a nail polish brand, so it’s a bit weird to hit their website and see all this other makeup being pushed, while their cute little Paint Pots bottles and bows shunted off to the side. I haven’t tried many liquid lipsticks, but this color looks great! [Made in Italy.]
Hanalei Lip Treatment
5 mL mini; 15 mL full size US$20
I’ve been looking for a good lip treatment, now that winter is wreaking havoc on my skin. I’m glad to received this, though I do wonder how much a company based in Honolulu, Hawaii knows about dealing with chapped lips. Ha! [Made in USA.]
OFRA Eyeshadow/Highlighter in Bliss
4 g full size pan; pan in compact US$15
I’m getting a little bored of receiving OFRA products, but on the other hand, this Eyeshadow/Highlighter is quite pretty. I don’t think the pan will fit into any of my MAC palettes, so I will have to see where I can put it. [Made in USA.]
Royal & Langnickel MODA Angle Shader Brush
full size, comes in a six-brush set USD$19.99
Royal & Langnickel are a UK brush company who have been around for over 60 years, presumably originally as an art brush manufacturer. Their website’s splash page gives you the option of visiting their art brushes or their makeup brushes. MODA appears to be a new line of their makeup brushes, which are synthetic with rubbery purple handles (kinda love it! like Orly bottle caps) and range in price from US$4.99 to $9.99 for a powder brush. Also, they make nail art tools. [Doesn’t say where it’s made, though the company is known as Royal Brush Manufacturing, so I’m going to guess that they’re made in the UK. If not, how disappointing.]
tarte Maracuja Oil
7 mL deluxe sample; 15 mL travel size US$15/CA$19, 50 mL full size US$48/CA$60
I’ve been interested in trying this for a while, so I’m very happy to get this! The packaging for a deluxe sample is really impressive. [Made in Brazil; filled in Taiwan.]
Ipsy Glam Bag “Carpe P.M.” Makeup Pouch
I come from the generation that can only associate Latin motto carpe diem with Dead Poets Society. There’s a pretty big disconnect for me when I look at this furry pink makeup bag!
Glam Bag Verdict
Pretty happy, overall! Ipsy’s definitely doing a good job of selecting color cosmetics for me. I am glad to have received the Ciaté liquid lipstick, the tarte Maracuja Oil, and the Hanalei Lip Treatment. I’m so-so on the Royal & Langnickel brush, but who can’t use another eyeshadow brush, I guess? I hope I will like the OFRA highlighter as an eyeshadow, and that I can find a place to put the pan!
Some other Ipsy items for December 2016 that I would have liked to try:
- mPrincess Mineral Eyeshadow in Melting Maple
- Naked Princess Luxe Shine Lip Gloss in Truffle
- NIP+FAB Glycolic Fix Serum
- Pinrose Rollerball fragrance in Secret Genius (vanilla & caramel!)
- REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask
- Symphony Beauty Snow Cream Moisturizer
- tarte Glossy Lip Paint in WCW
- ‘Tini Beauty Eyetini Eyeshadow in Firestarter