I missed getting a post up yesterday—it was so freaking hot in the city, our air conditioning isn’t working 100%, and I could barely think. Uggggh, I hate hot weather. I believe that if I had grown up in a hot place, I’d never have made it through school as my brain shuts down so badly when it’s very hot and humid. We’re talking a mere 27°C/80°F that will do it.
But hey, it’s only fitting that this month’s Ipsy Glam Bag (referral link) is posted on a Friday! It’s also much cooler today, thankfully.
And, once again, Ipsy sent me a Glam Bag that color-coordinates, in shades of bright aqua, bronze, and cherry red. I don’t know if it’s coincidental (or that a lot of their products this month just happen to coordinate), but it sure makes for a nice photo op.
Thanks to some referral points (many thanks to those who used my link!), I was also able to redeem some of my Ipsy points for a full sized Estée Lauder foundation.
What I Redeemed Points For
- Estée Lauder Double Wear Makeup To Go Liquid Compact in 2N1 Desert Beige (12 mL full size; US$45 / CA$50) [750 pts]
What I Received
- Adesse New York Organic Infused Nail Lacquer in Surfer Girl (11 mL full size; US$18)
- BeneFit Gimme Brow Volumizing Fiber Gel in Deep (5) (1 g sample; 3 g full size US$24)
- Jelly Pong Pong Supercharged Super Intense Eyeshadow Duo in Electric (2 g full size; US$22.95)
- Pixi by Petra Endless Silky Eye Pen in BlackNoir (0.8 g sample; 1.2 g full size US$12)
- trèStiQue Mini Matte Lip Crayon in Tuscan Wine (0.025 oz sample size of just the matte crayon color; full size is a double-ended Lip Crayon + Shiny Balm, US$28)
- Ipsy makeup bag
Ipsy Coupon Codes
- Adesse New York: 20% off any purchase + free US shipping with code IPSY20 (through 06/30/2017; US only)
- Estée Lauder: 20% off all Double Wear with code DWIPSY20 (through 05/31/2017; US only)
- Jelly Pong Pong: 30% off any purchase with code IPSY20 (through 06/30/2017)
- Pixi by Petra: 25% off any purchase with code PixiIpsyMay (not case-sensitive; through 6/30/2017; US only)
- trèStiQue: 30% off any $40+ purchase with code IPSYSPRING30 (through 06/30/2017; US only)
Here are some more detailed product shots:
Estée Lauder Double Wear Makeup To Go Liquid Compact in 2N1 Desert Beige
12 mL full size; US$45 / CA$50 / 750 Ipsy pts
This was a points redemption product. I love the regular Double Wear Stay-In-Place Makeup, so it was kind of a no-brainer to give this product a try. [Made in Canada.]
Adesse New York Organic Infused Nail Lacquer in Surfer Girl
11 mL full size; US$18
To be frank, this doesn’t really look like an $18 nail polish. If I’m ponying up that much money for one, I expect nicer packaging than drugstore-level, and a relatively plain box doesn’t automatically make it feel luxe. Still, I look forward to giving it a try, because obviously packaging isn’t everything! I do like the bright aqua shade. But it’ll have to be pretty darn fantastic to live up to that price tag. [Made in USA.]
BeneFit Gimme Brow Volumizing Fiber Gel in Deep (5)
1 g sample; 3 g full size US$24
I’m not generally a big BeneFit fan, as I’ve never tried anything of theirs that I was really wowed by—and their prices always seem too high for what you get. On the other hand, I have sparse brows, so I could definitely use a product like this. I normally stick to a brow powder, and am happy to give a brow gel a try, instead. [Made in USA.]
Jelly Pong Pong Supercharged Super Intense Eyeshadow Duo in Electric
2 g full size; US$22.95
I have only tried one Jelly Pong Pong product before, a rather dismal shower gel, but I’m open to trying their makeup. This eyeshadow duo is right down my alley, color-wise. The texture of the shadow looks a little overly-sparkly, but it’s certainly pretty, in shades of summery bronze. I’m giving it a test drive today.
I can’t tell if the packaging is meant to look on the tacky side, but I do like it! The compact has a little mirror, hurray! [Formulated in Italy; packaging made in China.]
Pixi by Petra Endless Silky Eye Pen in BlackNoir
0.8 g sample; 1.2 g full size US$12
I kind of wish I’d gotten the other color option, OpalOvercoat (a champagne pink shimmer, but I’m sure I’ll get good use out of this black liner. I usually use other deep, non-black shades (grey, bronze, purple) but there’s always room for black. I gave this a swatch on the back of my hand and wow, is it ever smooth! Also, it’s a lovely dark black, though not too stark, and it didn’t budge when I smudged it! It took a lot of rubbing to finally get it to start fading, and in the end, I had to wash it off with soap. It’s marketed as a waterproof liner, and from that quick test, I think it’ll perform well.
My only concern is that the texture was soft (but not too soft) and this is the type of pencil that needs sharpening. I am not holding out any hope for this sharpening easily—Pixi actually recommend putting this in the fridge for a while before attempting to sharpen it. [Doesn’t say where it’s made, and I can’t find any info online.]
trèStiQue Mini Matte Lip Crayon in Tuscan Wine
0.025 oz sample size of just the matte crayon color; full size is a double-ended Lip Crayon + Shiny Balm, US$28
In the full sized product, there’s both a Matte Lip Crayon in Tuscan Wine (with a pointy end) and a Syrah Shiny Balm with a rounded end. The sample I have is just for the Matte Lip Crayon, but for some reason it’s rounded, like the balm. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ I also can’t tell if it’s a smaller size or the same as the one in the full size. I’ve gotten a couple of trèStiQue products from Ipsy before, and they’ve seemed nice, if a bit overpriced. This Tuscan Wine shade is a burgundy red, which doesn’t scream “summer!” but I adore these rich colors, so I’m happy! [Made in USA.]
Ipsy Glam Bag “Summer Friday” Makeup Pouch
OK I really like this month’s makeup bag! It’s clear plastic and see-through, with a super cute ice cream and popsicle motif. It was a little smelly when I first opened it, but I expect that it’ll gas off in time. Yay, plastics.
Glam Bag Verdict
I love that I got all color makeup this month! Ipsy’s computer is learning, for sure.
I’m happy to get a new brand of nail polish to try, and the lipcolor and eyeshadows are very me. The only item I’d really be happy to swap out (for one of the other items I’ve listed below) is the BeneFit Gimme Brow. Overall, though, I’d say well done, Ipsy!
Some other Ipsy items for May 2017 that I would have liked to try:
- Mellow Creamy Matte Lipstick in Posh
- IT Cosmetics Superhero Elastic Stretch Volumizing Mascara in Black
- Vasanti Brighten Up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator (I always want this and never get it! It’s like $6 for the travel size, I should just buy it.)
- Grande Mascara in Rich Black (mostly because this is fairly pricy at $24.95 and full sized, and I’m just curious…)
- Hey Honey Bésame Mucho Shea Butter & Propolis Lip Balm
This month, Ipsy also had some nice products from Urban Decay, Pacifica, and Estée Lauder, but I either didn’t need them (UD highlighter in Sin), am not wowed by them (Pacifica 5x eyeshadow palette, which actually looks really nice), or already redeemed for (EL foundation).
‘Cause you made it all the way down here, I’ll leave you with a peppy tune. Here’s “Friday I’m in Love” by The Cure, from 1992.