I usually don’t get my Ipsy Glam Bag (referral link) here in Canada until the middle of each month, at the earliest—and yet, yesterday, the twelfth, I got my shiny hot pink June bag!
This month was the first time I tried emailing Ipsy to request an item to be included in my bag—apart from the one time they emailed me to let me try out a new system (I chose a mini of Ciaté Liquid Velvet Matte Lipstick in Pin Up).
From the initial list of spoilers released by Ipsy, I thought a black Make Up For Ever eyeliner was the best option I had (it wasn’t a great list! I’m not a huge black liner person) so I went ahead and asked if I could get that in my June bag. Customer service was happy to oblige.
Of course, a while later I saw more spoilers which included some great options I’d have picked instead (see my list below of other June items that Ipsy sent out). Boo! I actually think it makes more sense for me to just let Ipsy pick for me from now on, unless I see an item in the spoilers that I truly want. They’ve actually been doing a pretty great job for me—if only I could convince them that it’s OK to send me more than one nail polish per month!
What I Received
- Dr. Lili Fan Probiotic Recovery Cream (20 mL sample; 50 mL full size US$68)
- Kokie Nail Polish in Atlantis At Last (16 mL full size; US$6)
- Luna by Luna Eyeshadow in Jace (1.5 g full size; US$15)
- Make Up For Ever Aqua XL Eye Pencil in M-10 Matte Black (0.8 g mini; 1.2 g full size US$21/CA$25)
- NYX Whipped Lip & Cheek Soufflé in Plush (8 mL full size; US$6/CA$9)
- Ipsy makeup bag
Ipsy Coupon Codes
- Dr. Lili Fan: 10% off any purchase with code IPSY (through 07/31/2017; US only)
- Kokie: 25% off any purchase with code ipsy25 (through 07/31/2017; US & Canada only)
- Luna by Luna: 20% off any purchase with code IPSY20 (through 07/31/2017)
There are currently no codes offered for MUFE and NYX, so I’ll just mention these discounts for two great Canadian brands (since I would have loved another Trust Fund Beauty nail polish, or either of the two Vasanti products on offer this month, the face scrub and the lip gloss):
- Trust Fund Beauty: 30% off any purchase with code IPSY30 (through 07/31/12017)
- Vasanti: 30% off any purchase with code IPSY30 (through 06/30/12017; US & Canada only)
Here are some more detailed product shots:
Dr. Lili Fan Probiotic Recovery Cream
20 mL sample; 50 mL full size US$68
I am really getting into skincare these days (forced because my skin has been so troublesome of late), so this sounds very cool! The sample size is 20 mL, which is nice and ample. [Made in USA.]
Kokie Nail Polish in Atlantis At Last
16 mL full size; US$6
OH YES I got a nail polish! I love this cobalt blue, and I have to say that even though Kokie’s polish retails for a mere $6, it looks somewhat more expensive. The bottle is adorable and also much larger than it appears to be. It’s like if someone made a cute little mouse the size of a bunny! [Made in USA.]
Luna by Luna Eyeshadow in Jace
1.5 g full size; US$15
$15 for an eyeshadow made in China!
Seriously though, this does not look like the packaging of a $15 eyeshadow. Don’t get me wrong: it’s cute, blue, and is reasonably sturdy, but if you asked me what the MSRP was I’d guess about $7.50 max. Regardless, the color seems versatile and it’s a good choice for my warm skintone. I wonder if it could double as blush. [Made in China.]
Make Up For Ever Aqua XL Eye Pencil in M-10 Matte Black
0.8 g mini; 1.2 g full size US$21/CA$25
This swatched smoothly, and it passed the rub test well. The finish is definitely matte and quite black. I don’t use black liner all that often, but I didn’t have a matte one so it’s nice to have this! It’s 2/3 of the full size, as well, so as a sample it’s very generous. [Made in Germany.]
NYX Whipped Lip & Cheek Soufflé in Plush
8 mL full size; US$6/CA$9
I’m usually not fussed about receiving NYX products in my Ipsy bag, because the products are hit and miss for me, and they’re just so affordable and easy to find. Still, I like that it’s usually a full-sized item, and I think always a lip item for me. This is one of those combo lip and cheek products, which I invariably only ever use on my lips because I like deeper shades on my lips and lighter shades on my cheeks. Plush, a soft mauve-based pink, does look reasonably well-balanced, though, so maybe it actually will do double duty well! [Made in China.]
Ipsy Glam Bag “Volume Up” Makeup Pouch
Eek, no likey. The stylized lips do remind me of the Make Up For Ever lips—I’ve never liked their logo, either. The idea is that Ipsters speak up (to go along with this month’s “Volume Up” theme), which is a fine and excellent sentiment with which I fully agree. But I think Ipsy are also going for a bit of a Roy Lichtenstein pop art look here, particularly with the addition of the comic book dot effect, and the execution is just…not good. Well, it’s only a makeup bag.
Glam Bag Verdict
Once again, I got a nail polish, and it’s a brand that’s new to me, so I’m happy! I will certainly be able to try using everything I got in this month’s bag, so well done to Ipsy once again.
Some other Ipsy items for June 2017 that I would have liked to try:
- Margaret Dabbs London Treatment-Enriched Nail Polish in Green Daylily (OMG I was happy with the Kokie I got until I saw this. Dammit. Dear Ipsy, please just send me ALL the nail polish, thx!)
- Vasanti Brighten Up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator (Once again, I didn’t get this!)
- Vasanti Power Oils Lip Gloss in Super Mom (Am I not a super mom, Ipsy?! This looks so gorgeous.)
- skyn ICELAND Glacial Face Wash with White Willow Bark
- Trust Fund Beauty Nail Polish in What’s a Budget? (I guess I should be glad I didn’t get this, just because they had two color options and I already have one of them, Game Changer; still, I really like TFB polishes and have already bought quite a few.)
‘Cause you made it all the way down here, I’ll leave you with a tune. Here’s “Papa Don’t Preach” by Madonna, from 1986.