I just canceled my Luxe Box (referral link) subscription. It wasn’t a terribly hard decision to make, apart from the fact that I was sad to not be able to continue supporting a Canadian beauty box! That now makes it both Topbox and Luxe Box that I have unsubscribed from—both are operated by Topbox, the Ipsy-equivalent.
Today, I’ll show you what I got in my Summer 2016 Luxe Box, and give you the reasons I decided to discontinue this service.
Luxe Box is a seasonal box that costs $26 per quarter, though you can get a slight discount for signing up for more boxes at a time. I signed up with the semi-annual option: two boxes for $25 each. The annual option gives you four boxes for $24 each. Shipping is included, at least for the Canadian options.
You receive 7–8 items in each curated Luxe Box (I got 5 full-sized items and 2 trial-sizes this season). I did not take up the $10 “Beauty Surprise” option, even though I was pleased with what I got the one time I did.
What I Received
All prices in CA$, unless otherwise noted. Also, I didn’t receive my product card or any additional coupons with this quarter’s Luxe Box. The outer box it was packed in was unsealed, so I don’t know whether they just fell out, or if the card(s) were just never packed in the first place. This means I don’t have access to full information about all the products I received. (Incidentally, Ipsy’s website is great in that you can see all the details of all the products you’ve ever received from them, plus links to each product’s official website. Luxe Box’s website is totally useless in this regard. You can’t even see what you got this quarter, let alone your purchase history! As someone who worked in website design, I can’t bring myself to support their hopelessly useless website any longer.)
- AMIKA Perk Up Dry Shampoo with Sea Buckthorn Berry (0.75 oz / 21.3 g, sample) [MSRP US$9.00 for 1 oz, or US$24 for 5.3 oz; sample works out to ~US$6.75]
- BAREFOOT VENUS Lip Bliss Ultra-Repairing Lip Balm in Spearmint (8 g, full size) [MSRP US$7.50]
- HARVEY PRINCE Body Cream in Sincerely (15 mL, sample) [MSRP US$6.50, based on the 50 mL fragrance + body cream set they have on their website]
- MIRABELLA Pearls & Pastels Eyeshadow Pigment in Refreshmint (4.7 g, 1 single-use pair of eye gels) [MSRP $25/box of 4 pairs]
- MORGAN TAYLOR Professional Nail Lacquer in I’m the Good Witch (15 mL, full size) [MSRP US$9]
- MORGAN TAYLOR Professional Nail Lacquer in Nautically Inclined (15 mL, full size) [MSRP US$9]
- NOVEX Brazilian Keratin Extra Deep Hair Care Cream (3.5 oz / 100 mL, sample) [MSRP US$6.99 for 7.4 oz, or US$16.99 for 34 oz; sample works out to ~US$3.31]
- pūr~lisse BB Tinted Moist Cream, not sure which shade but probably Medium? (10 mL, travel size) [MSRP US$10 for 10 mL, or US$32 for 40 mL]
Random Additional Items
- Nada this quarter. Don’t know if they forgot it, if it fell out of the box, or there just aren’t any this time.
Here’s a quick rundown of what I think about each item:
AMIKA Perk Up Dry Shampoo with Sea Buckthorn Berry
(8 g, full size) [MSRP US$7.50]
Guess I can use a travel-sized dry shampoo. I’m not generally happy getting hair products from my subscription boxes, though, and it’s listed that way in my profiles. The packaging is super cute, however!