Canadian subscription box Topbox (referral link) is one of those things that’s so cheap that it can be hard for me to justify dropping it…but I think I’m close to being done with them, again. Each month, I am pretty underwhelmed, and I think I’d be better off just buying one or two nail polishes each month with the CA$13.56 it costs me, after tax. At least I know I’d be happy with what I got.
I mean, after last month’s 2 mL Michael Kors fragrance vial and this month’s miniscule BeneFit sample, I think they’re no longer living up to the “4 deluxe samples” promise.
Oh, and this month, I also got the option to pony up $10 for a Beauty Surprise, so I did it. ‘Cause I’m a glutton for punishment.
I’m going to give them one more month—hey, maybe I’ll actually see a Privé box I’d rather have, for once. If it’s a bust, Topbox are out for the second time.
All prices are in CA$ unless otherwise noted.
What I Got as a $10 Beauty Surprise
- Doucce Freematic Eye Shadow Quad in Autumn Leaves (7)
Beauty Surprise Cost = CA$10 + $1.13 tax, free shipping
Item Value = US$35
What I Received in my Topbox
- BeneFit Foolproof Brow Powder in Deep 05 (0.01 g) [CA$32 for 2 g, value: CA$0.16]
- The Body Shop 100% Vegetarian Expert Face Masks (Japanese Matcha Tea Pollution Clearing Mask & Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask) (2 × 5 mL) [CA$28 for 75 mL, value: CA$3.73]
- Redken Pillow Proof Blow Dry Two Day Extender in Clear (1.2 oz) [CA$24.99 for 3.4 oz, value: CA$8.82]
- Skin & Co Roma Truffle Therapy Essential Face Toner (30 mL) [US$27 for 200 mL, value: US$4.05]
- Wella EIMI Perfect Me (6 mL) (freebie) [CA$19.66 for 100 mL, value: CA$1.18]
Box Cost = CA$12 + 1.56 tax, free shipping
Total Item Value = CA$0.16 + CA$3.73 + CA$8.82 + US$4.05 + CA$1.18 ≈ CA$18.95
The box also came with a couple of coupons. One is for 20% off the masks from The Body Shop. I think it’s a coupon. There’s no barcode or anything, just says I can “Enjoy 20% off” if I bring it in-store. Super. The second came with the Wella freebie, and gives 50% off any Wella EIMI styling product at Chatters.ca (the online code is EIMI50), and it’s valid through the end of this year.
Soooo, ignoring the fact that I have a “deluxe sample” in my box worth 16 Canadian cents—we don’t even use pennies here anymore!!!—the bulk of my box’s value lies in the Redken dry shampoo. Also, I have no full-sized items this month; all are samples.
Detailed pics follow: